\osborne\biograph\newbio11  7/17/2000

Bio. of George A. Osborn

   Blackford and Grant Counties, Indiana, Vol. I, Chicago and New York,
   The Lewis Publishing Co., 1914.  Page 812.  (transcript)
   [See another bio. of George A. Osborn]

   George A. Osborn.  In review of his life, it can be said there are few
men who have had more to do with community affairs that G.A. Osborn, who was
an educator in an epoch-making time -- at at time when public policies were
shaping themselves, and although business success has always followed his
efforts, his retrospective pleasure comes from his experience as an
   His name in business affairs is probably most familiarly associated with
the Osborn Paper Company, one of the substantial business concerns of
Marion.  It was established in a small way in 1892, and it has been
extraordinarily successful under his personal management and the payroll of
the company is widely distributed -- traveling salesmen and help employed in
the office and factory.  The plant is centrally located, and once on the
payroll of the Osborn Paper Company, men and women strive to hold their
positions -- a splendid moral atmosphere surrounding the institution.  Mr.
Osborn has always had the faculty of organization, and as president of the
company he has had opportunity of systemizing the business.
   George A. Osborn is the son of George C. and Margaret (Nace) Osborn, who
were "forty-niners" in Grant county, arriving from Ohio in time to give
their son George a fortunate birth, January 15, 1850, -- a Hoosier, and all
his life has been spent in Indiana.  His father married twice and older
children bearing the relation of half-brother and sister to him are Lewis
Osborn and Mrs. Mary Oliver, the latter a resident of the county, and it was
in her home the father spent his last days, dying in 1897.  The other
children born to the mother of George were: Theophilus Osborn, Mrs. Jennie
Fowler, and Mrs. Margaret Weesner.
   The Osborn family home was in Monroe at the time of his birth, but a few
years later the family removed to Franklin, and that is the township of his
early life associations.  He was a student and pursued college studies
unaided and alone while a young man at home, and early in life enrolled as a
teacher, and while a resident of Franklin he served the township as trustee,
and later, in 1879, was elected county superintendent of schools.  He had
been through the degrees of advancement -- teacher, trustee and examiner,
and he fully knew the requirements of all.
   Mr. Osborn's record as a county official -- superintendent of schools and
auditor of Grant county -- is given in the chapter on civil government.
Having acquired a comfortable fortune from his present business, he looks
back over his life with more pleasure in affairs of an educational nature
than any other feature.  He certainly accomplished a great forward stride
when he held the first township examination in 1881, and graduated pupils
from the district schools of Grant county -- and he congratulates each
recurring commencement day on an impetus started by himself and destined to
such unrestricted popularity.  The original list of county graduates was
compiled in a book refused by the officials of another county, and purchased
privately by him -- and now the graduates from the common schools have
reached many thousands.  All innovations have to overcome objections, and
teachers were divided on the subject of graduating pupils from the grades.
Some of the teachers of that day were opposed to making colleges from the
district schools.  There is a coterie of citizens now who are glad their
names are in the graduating class of 1881 -- the year the world did not come
to an end, as prophesied by Mother Shipton, but instead was a new system
inaugurated in the public schools of Grant county.  Mr. Osborn installed the
teachers' library, which has had such an important place in the lives of
teachers before there were such excellent library advantages, and while he
was in the Indiana legislature, as joint senator from Grant, Wells and
Blackford counties, he had opportunity of supporting several educational
measures -- all that work having been accomplished since his active days as
a teacher.  The superintendents of Grant, Henry, Wayne, Delaware and Union
counties held a joint meeting on an Indian mound near New Castle the first
year he was in office, and at that time they determined to issue a course of
study and hold commencements, and although there was a wave of opposition,
there are now no objections to the system, and Mr. Osborn is the father of
the local commencement idea, diplomas given township graduates from the
eighth grade, which is an educational monument to his memory.
   Of all the material successes that have come to him -- and prosperity has
always been his portion -- nothing accomplished in politics in county or
state gives to Mr. Osborn the inward satisfaction that has come from the
knowledge that he was the man of the hour when it came to raising
educational standards in Grant county.  His published course of study was
among the earliest in Indiana, and while an educator he was abreast of the
times -- the same rule having been applied later to his business, the Osborn
Paper Company.
   Mr. Osborn married September 22, 1880, Miss Cora Jay.  She comes of
pioneer Quaker stock, that was introduced into Grant county the year Mr.
Osborn was born, so that both are thorough-going Indianians.  Mrs. Osborn
has one brother, Arthur E. Jay, their parents being Walter and Nancy (Ellis)
Jay, and their grandfather, Rev. Isaac Jay, having been one of the most
prominent friends of the old Mississinewa Friends community.  The children
born to Mr. and Mrs. Osborn are: Arthur and Anna, twins, the son having
married Miss Isabel Beane, and the daughter being the wife of G.A.
Wilkinson.  Besides the twins the third child is Mrs. Lois Osborne Spencer.
The grandchildren are Josephine Wilkinson, and Osborn and Catherine Ann
   There is no question about Mr. Osborn's attitude on moral questions and
he is ia moral bulwark in the community.  He belongs to the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and the Knights of Pythias lodges, and has filled
positions of honor in both.  The Osborn family is identified with the First
Methodist Episcopal church, prominent members, and active in the work of the
Sunday school.  Mrs. Osborn has been prominent in woman's clubs, and she is
the first president of the recently organized Young Women's Christian
Association in Marion -- both sides of the house having been active in
community interests.  When there are citizen movements looking toward the
moral uplift of the community, Mr. and Mrs. Osborn are in line with
progress.  The same success has come to him in business that attended him as
an educator -- due to the strong personality of the man -- and the Osborn
Paper Company is always reckoned with among the larger industries of the

Bio. of George A. Osborn

   Biographical Memoirs of Grant County, Indiana, Chicago, The Bowen
   Publishing Co., 1901.  Page 279.  (transcript)
   [See a previous bio. of George A. Osborn]

   Among those men of Grant county who deserve careful consideration at the
hands of the biographer is the Hon. George A. Osborn, the joint senator from
the district composed of Grant, Blackford and Wells counties.
   Mr. Osborn was born in Grant county on the 15th day of January, 1850,
Monroe township being the home to the family at the time.  His parents were
George C. and Margaret (Nace) Osborn, who were married in Ohio, coming, in
1849, to the newer part of Monroe township.  When George was about six years
old the permanent home was made in Franklin township, and there the parents
reside until the mother's death, at the age of fifty-six.  The father
thereafter lived mainly with his various children, dying finally at Gas City
at the serene age of eighty three, in the year 1896.
   George C. Osborn was a native of New Jersey, coming, as a boy, to
Guernsey county, Ohio, where his own father died, he removing later to
Marion county, that state.  His two children, by a former marriage, are
Lewis Osborn, of Wabash county, and Mary A., wife of William Oliver, of Gas
City.  Theophilius Osborn is a well-known mechanic of Marion; Jennie is Mrs.
Amos Fowler, of Converse; and Margaret is the wife of Elihu Weesner, of West
Marion.  These, beside George A., constituted the second family.
   George early developed a desire for an education , availing himself of
the advantages of the country schools, but having to depend largely upon
himself, studying diligently in the home, where he received such
encouragement from his parents as they could give.  While still in his teens
he began to teach, the desire for highter education growing upon him, and to
supply which he carried such studies as algebra and geometry along simply by
his own efforts.  Entering the Marion normal, he was afforded the
opportunity of partially paying his way by assisting to teach some of the
branches, taking special instruction, and thus acquiring an all-round
education.  This preparation had been going on until he had reached the age
of twenty-nine, having in the meantime served two terms as trustee of
Franklin township.  He taught not only in the country schools, but also in
various villages and graded schools, having taught in the Gas City schools
as well as being principal of the high school at Marion.  In 1879 he was
chosen as county superintendent of schools, a position he filled with such
acceptability that he was re-elected three times, and that regardless of
political influence or identification.  Having been a careful student of
educational work and of the methods in Massachusetts, New York and other
states, where the most modern ideas were being applied, he set to work to
make advancement over the old staid ideas in vogue in Indiana.  During the
past twenty years the progress made in school work in this state has been
remarkable, and much satisfaction is taken by Mr. Osborn that it has
followed along the lines adopted by him, long before there had been any
statutory regulation systematizing the work in the state.  Fully realizing
the benefits from systematic effort, he first applied his official authority
to the grading of the country schools; but, in the lack of statutes, he
found it a slow and laborious process.  Preparing a course of study suitable
to the demands of the district school, he placed a copy in the hands of
every patron in the county, and found to his great satisfaction that the
idea was received with the favor commensurate with the recognized
intelligence of the people of Grant county.  To his surprise the teachers of
the country schools were slower to fall into line than were the patrons.
Teachers, with the strength of prerogative, feeling their rights infringed
upon, hesitated to identify themselves with these new and radical ideas;
but, many of them having taken something of a course in the normal schools,
ranged themselves on the side of their superintendent, the leaven soon
permeating all ranks of the instructive force. By constantly agitating the
subject, the people soon recognized the value of the ideas and the devotion
of the superintendent, so that within a short space of time the fruits of
the system were realized.
   During the eight years that Mr. Osborn remained at the head of the school
system of the county remarkable progress, not only in this county, but
throughout the state, was made.  A few other advanced superintendents had
fallen into line and were working to the same end.  The value of the plans
soon became so apparent that suitable legislation was shaped, giving, in the
end, one of the finest school systems to the state of Indiana to be found in
the country.  Credit is accorded to Mr. Osborn throughout the state for the
admirable and untiring work done by him, not only in the matter just
mentioned, but in all that made for better schools and well-qualified and
enthusiastic teachers.  Much of this latter was accomplished through the
results of the Teachers' Library, which was the first of its kind to be
established in the state.  It was started upon voluntary association, but
the value soon was so widely recognized among the teachers that all availed
themselves of its use, and all were enrolled among its patrons.  But one
other county in the state had taken steps in this direction when this one
was established.  Its value to the teachers and schools has been beyond all
computation, an improvement being observed in all, especially on the part of
those who take up the work of teaching as a profession.  Probably that idea
in the school system of to-day that is making itself most keenly felt is
that of the graduation from the common schools, the same incentive to the
pupil, to the parent and to the teacher existing as in the city schools, the
superintendents in the counties of Wayne, Henry, Madison, Union and Grant
being the first to adopt the plan.  The state superintendent and the
governor became converts and it was embodied into law, Mr. Osborn having the
privilege of casting as senator a vote in its favor.  At the ceremonies
attending the last public graduation held in Marion, in June 1900, he was
chosen as one of the speakers of the occasion, the opportunity being taken
by his many friends of publicly honoring him for the part he had taken in
shaping, introducing and operating the system.  By this plan inducement is
offered to all ambitious students to excel, as by so doing they became
credited with a standing in the county that my mean much to them in future.
   Upon his retirement from the superintendency, in 1887, Mr. Osborn
continued to teach, mainly in the Marion schools, until he became the
Republican nominee for county auditor, to which position he was elected, and
to which office he devoted himself during the four succeeding years.
   While thus serving, in 1892, he organized the Osborn Paper Company, to
which his business attention has been wholly directed since his retirement
from the official position.  The business was started in a modest way,
jobbing in paper and notions and manufacturing of tablets and school
supplies.  From a business of about twenty-five thousand the second year, it
has steadily grown until it now demands the services of eight traveling
salesmen, who cover the territory from Buffalo to Des Moines, and sell fully
one hundred and fifty thousand dollars' worth of goods annually.
   In 1898 Mr. Osborn was chosen as joint senator for the district composed
of Grant, Wells and Blackford counties, over George Thompson, a strong and
popular; and though it was considered a close district, he received a
majority of seventeen hundred votes.  He had, through hsi official life and
long connection with the Republican party, become widely and, as was thus
shown, favorably known.  The work done by him in former campaigns had
counted to the benefit of the party, he having been the chairman of the
county central committee during the first campaign of President Harrison,
serving the following six years on the state committee.  His service in the
senate was of an important nature, being made chairman of the committee on
fees and salary and a member of the railroad committee, and on that of
contested elections.  His impartiality was shown upon several occasions, in
one instance, at least, the Democratic contestant being seated by his vote.
He took an active and influential part in shaping the legislation of the
session, the law placing the county commsisioners<sic> on salaries
especially receiving his hearty endorsement and advocacy.  The bill making
the county council also received his support, feeling that such enactment
would tend to place the public business upon a safer and more conservative
   While the oratorical powers of Mr. Osborn are such as to attract the
attention and admiration of his compeers, having an easy and logical
delivery that illustrates the main points under discussion, clearing the
subject of obscurity and assisting materially to a proper understanding, his
principal value as a legislator lay in the strength of his personality in
the closer relation of members in the committee rooms or in the social
gathering, where greater opportunity was had to impress with the importance
of the subject matter.  Few men are more suitable for the shaping of men's
minds by the subtle influence of personal magnetism, coupled with persuasive
argument in the privacy of home or club life.  As an organizer, whether in
the general political field or in the halls of legislation, he has few
compeers and no surpassers in the state.  His native social qualities,
coupled with pleasing personality and ever good nature make him one of the
most genial of gentlemen, whom to know is to respect.  That inclination to
fraternal fellowship led him to become an Odd Fellow, in which society he
carried the work to the higher degrees.  He was one of those whose fame
became well established as members of the famous Marion canton, the renowned
military organization that carried off the highest honors wherever it
entered the contest.  With a squad of twenty-seven men it won the first
prize at Cincinnati, following this victory with another at Columbus, and
later at Chicago.  The Stokes medal was won by it three times in succession,
when it was accorded a duplicate of the medal and ruled out from all future
contests.  This canton was given special honors by being chosen as the guard
of honor to accompany General Underwood, of Kentucky, on a trip to
California to attend the Sovereign Grand Lodge of Odd Fellows.  Carrying the
idea of fellowship into other bodies, Mr. Osborn is a member of Grant Lodge,
No. 103, K. of P., and of Knights of Khorassen.
   In 1881 Mr. Osborn married Miss Cora Jay, daughter of Walter and Nancy
Jay; she was born near Marion, and received advanced education in Earlham
College.  Arthur E., Anna and Lois are the three children born to them.
Both Mr. Osborn and wife are active in the Methodist church and Sunday
school, he having served the latter as superintendent.

Bio. of George W. Osbon-2681

   History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, Indiana, Chicago, Goodspeed
   Brothers, 1884.  (Greene Co.)  Page 350.  (transcript)

   GEORGE W. OSBON, a son of Asa and Parmelia (Lockwood) Osbon, and one of
three living children in a family of eight, was born on the present site of
Mineral City, Ind., August 15, 1830.  The family settled in Greene County in
about 1825, but later removed to Tippecanoe County, and while making that
their residence the father and four daughters died.  The mother, with the
remainder of the family, then returned to Greene County, married Adam
Stropes, and died in about 1873.  George W. Osbon began learning the
carpenter's trade when eighteen years old, serving a three years'
apprenticeship.  In July, 1850, Mary, daughter of Thomas Patterson, became
his wife, and to them eight children have been born, only Thomas P.,
Virginia B., Emmett L., Mary, John A. and Frank, yet living.  November 20,
1861, Mr. Osbon became a private in Company E, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer
Infantry, but shortly afterward was made Fifth Duty Sergeant, and at New
Madrid was advanced to First Sergeant; November 2, 1862, he was discharged
by reason of promotion to Second Lieutenant, but not receiving his
commission until February 5, 1863, his name was not on the pay roll, and for
three months he not only served without pay, but furnished his own rations.
He was promoted to the Captaincy of his company in August, 1863, serving as
such until July, 1864, when, owing to illness in his family, resigned and
returned home.  Capt. Osbon saw much hard service in the late war, being a
participant in the engagements of New Madrid, Island No. 10, siege and
battle of Corinth, Port Gibson, Magnolia, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills,
reduction of Vicksburg and Mission Ridge.  In February, he returned home on
veteran furlough, but rejoined his command at Huntsville the succeeding
April, and was employed doing guard duty until his return home.  Since the
war, he has farmed, worked at his trade, conducted a provision store, and
since 1874 has served in the capacity of Justice of the Peace.  Besides
administering to the duties of his office, Capt. Osbon is actively engaged
in a general loan and insurance business, representing nine of the leading
insurance companies known.  In January, 1883, his partnership with E.B.
Graham was formed, which has since continued successfully under the firm
name of Osbon & Graham.  Capt. Osbon is a Mason, an Odd Fellow, a Republican
in politics, and in 1878 was admitted a member of the Greene County bar.

Bio. of David L. Osborn-2878

   History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, Indiana, Chicago, Goodspeed
   Brothers, 1884.  (Greene Co.)  Page 378.  (transcript)

   DAVID L. OSBORN, a native of the township and county where he yet
resides, was born in the year 1830, and is one in the following family born
to William H. and Rhoda Osborn, who were among the earliest of Greene
County's pioneers: Amanda J., Elizabeth, David L., Ira M., Mary R., Wines
W., Typhenia, John M. and two that died in infancy.  William H. Osborn was
born in Greenbrier County, Va., where he was left fatherless when a small
boy.  About the year 1812, he accompained his mother to Kentucky, traveling
the entire distance on horseback.  In 1819, the family removed to Monroe
County, Ind., and afterward to Owen County.  A few years later, the family
settled on "Nine Mile Prairie," in Greene County, which at that time was a
very early period in the history of that locality.  He became quite widely
known as one of the early farmers and merchants of Stockton Township, and
was honored and esteemed for the honorable and upright life he lived.  David
L. Osborn, subject of this memoir, was the first Township Trustee under the
present system of management, and is the present incumbent of that office in
Stockton Township.  In October, 1851, he was united in marriage with Miss
Esther Ann, daughter of William Buck, who was a native of England.  Mrs.
Osborn was born near Amboy, N.Y., in 1832, and by Mr. Osborn is the mother
of this family: Alice D. (now Mrs. W.F. Cornelius), Ira M., Mary P. (now
Mrs. D.E. Humphrey), Hannah E. and William S.

Bio. of Thomas Osburn-3705

   History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, Indiana, Chicago, Goodspeed
   Brothers, 1884.  (Sullivan Co.)  Page 734.  (transcript)

   THOMAS OSBURN is the ninth child born to John and Sallie (Gardner)
Osburn, natives of Kentucky, his birth occurring in Nelson County November
20, 1825.  The father was born March 19, 1789, and the mother July 11, 1792;
they were married in Kentucky, October 10, 1811, and to them were born ten
children.  They settled in Sullivan County in 1826, and here passed the
remainder of their days, the father dying September 7, 1851, and the mother
June 29, 1830.  Thomas acquired a fair education in youth by making the most
of his opportunities, and in June, 1851, located on eighty acres near where
he now lives.  This land was bought on time.  Two years later he sold out
and located on his father's estate, which he purchased of the heirs.  He has
made this farm 280 acres, and owns another tract of eighty-two acres.  He
married Miss Martha Pinkstun June 12, 1851, and has by her this family:
Sarah F., Mary F., Simon D., Annie F., Ziba, Eliza and Eva living, and Oscar
E. and three infants deceased.  Mrs. Osburn is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and a lady of much worth.  She was born near Graysville
September 14, 1832, her parents being Dunohu and Rachel Pinkstun.  Mr.
is a Republican, and has taken much pains to educate his children.  His son,
S.D. is practicing medicine at Shelburn.

Bio. of S.D. Osburn

   History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, Indiana, Chicago, Goodspeed
   Brothers, 1884.  (Sullivan Co.)  Page 776.  (transcript)

   DR. S.D. OSBURN, physician, Shelburn, son of Thomas and Martha (Pinkston)
Osburn, who were natives respectively, of Kentucky and Indiana, he being one
of the pioneers of Hamilton Township.  Subject was born in Hamilton
Township, Sullivan County, October 12, 1857, where he was reared, his early
education being received in the neighborhood schools, entering in 1873, the
Sullivan Graded School, where he remained three years, when he entered the
Northern Indiana Normal School at Valparaiso, graduating in 1878.  He then
read medicine in Sullivan under Dr. R.H. Crowder till the fall of 1878, when
he entered the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, and after a two
years' course, graduated from that institution in the spring of 1880.  In
April, 1880, he opened an office at Shelburn, where, although the Doctor is
young, he has built up a fine practice, and at present fills the position of
Health Officer of Shelburn.  He was married in Sullivan County, September
21, 1881, to Miss Ettie Odell, daughter of Abram and Mary (Wibel) Odell, and
born February 11, 1863.  This union has been blessed with one child, Imo.
The Doctor is an I.O.O.F., Lodge No. 420, and a Republican.

Bio. of John E. Osborn

   History of Decatur County, Indiana, Indianapolis, IN, B.F. Bowen & Co.,
   1915.  Page 768.  (transcript)

   The legal profession has claimed many of the brightest minds of Decatur
county and from the beginning of the county's history in 1822 the bar of the
county has included men of high standing.  From the bar of this county men
have gone out to become congressment, members of the highest courts of the
state and lieutenant-governors.  In whatever position they have found
themselves they have acquitted themselves with credit.  One of the younger
members of the Decatur county bar is John E. Osborn, the senior member of
the firm of Osborn & Hamilton.  Without those advantages which so many of
the younger lawyers of today have, he has arisen to a high place in his
community through the sheer force of his personality and enjoys the utmost
confidence of both bench and bar in this section of the state.
   The Osborn family is of English ancestry and were early settlers in the
state of New Jersey.  It was in that state that Albert I. Osborn, the father
of John E., was born on February 3, 1831.  Albert I. Osborn was only four
years of age when he came with his father, John Osborn, to Dearborn county,
Indiana, later locating in Decatur county.  In this county he grew to
manhood, married, reared his family, and is still living.  He is now in his
eighty-fifth year and makes his home at Newpoint.
   John E. Osborn, the yougest child of his parents, was born on August 25,
1872, near Newpoint, Decatur county, Indiana.  Reared on the farm and
educated in the public schools at Newpoint, Rossburg and Mechanicsburg, he
reached man's estate without any other than a solid common-school education.
He remained on the farm until he was nineteen years of age, and desiring to
become something else than a farmer, he began the study of law by himself.
So rapidly did he master the rudiments of the legal profession that he was
admitted to the bar in May, 1897.  However, he had previously been appointed
deputy county auditor, receiving the appointment at the age of nineteen, and
had served as deputy auditor under his brother-in-law, John J. Putnam, from
December 7, 1891, to March, 1896.
   The professional career of Mr. Osborn was begun in partnership with Elmer
E. Roland, but six months later he resigned from the firm to become the
partner of Hugh Wickens, the present circuit judge.  After the election of
Mr. Wickens as judge of the ninth judicial circuit, Mr. Osborn was in
partnership with Lewis A. Harding, the firm being known as Osborn & Harding
from November, 1910, to January 1, 1912.  On the latter date Frank Hamilton
became a member of the firm, which was then changed to the firm of Osborn,
Hamilton & Harding.  This partnership continued until November, 1912, when
Mr. Harding was elected prosecutor of this judicial district and withdrew
from the firm.  Since that time Mr. Osborn has been associated with Mr.
   John E. Osborn has now been practicing before the bar of this county for
nearly twenty years and has had many important cases in the county, district
and state courts.  His practice has constantly increased had he has had the
management of many interesting cases.  So successful has he been that in his
several firm changes he has been able to take with him the personal business
which he had acquired as a member of these respective firms.  The career of
Mr. Osborn has not altogether been confined to his legal business.  He has
branched out in industrial and commercial enterprises with the same degree
of success which has marked his progress in his chosen field of law.  He is
a stockholder and a director of the American Cooperage Company of Helena,
Arkansas; the Columbia Cooperage Company of McGehee, Arkansas; the Arkansas
Cooperage Company of Jennie, Arkansas, and is a partner with John T. Meek in
a plantation in Concordia Parish, Louisiana, near Natchez.  He and Mr. Meek
own forty-four hundred acres of land on which they raise rice, cotton and
considerable live stock.  They also have a saw-mill on the plantation.
   On July 17, 1900, John E. Osborn was married to Grace Gullefer, the
daughter of Dr. Thomas B. and Louise (Hederick) Gullefer, to which union one
son has been born, Wendell G., born on October 23, 1905.
   Mrs. Osborn's father, Dr. T.B. Gullefer, was born eight miles from
Indianapolis, Indiana, on March 12, 1851, a son of Stephen Gullefer, also a
native of Marion county, Indiana, who died on his farm in that county in
1901.  Stephen Gullefer was a son of Aaron Gullefer, a native of Wayne
county, Indiana, an early settler of Marion county, where he acquired a farm
of six hundred and forty acres.  The wife of Stephen Gullefer was Emily
Bowers, born in Salem, Indiana, in 1824, who died in July, 1853.  Dr. T.B.
Gullefer is the only child born to this union now living.  After the death
of his first wife Stephen Gullefer married a second time and had six
children by his second marriage, three of whom are dead, those living being
John N., who owns the home farm; Eliza A., who resides with her brother
John, and Judson, a resident of Indianapolis.
   After receiving a common-school education in the schools of Marion
county, Doctor Gullefer spent one year in Butler College and then became a
student of DePauw University for three years.  After leaving college he
taught school in the rural districts for six years.  In 1879 he entered the
medical college at Indianapolis and was graduated with the class of 1881,
later taking a post-graduate course in the Chicago Homeopathic College from
which he was graduated in 1891.  Doctor Gullefer practiced in Plainfield,
Indiana, for five years; in North Vernon, Indiana, for two years, and has
been in continuous practice in Greensburg, this county, for the past
twenty-five years.
   Dr. Thomas B. Gullefer was married in 1873 to Louise Hedrick who was born
in Gallatin county, Kentucky, in 1851, daughter of John and Charlotte
Hedrick, to which union two children were born, Grace and Bessie.  Grace is
the wife of Mr. Osborn and Bessie married John Hornung, Jr., a grain
merchant of Greensburg.  Mrs. Gullifer passed away on July 5, 1915.
   Doctor Gullefer is a Republican in politics and has served as coroner of
Decatur county for eleven years; six years as secretary of the county board
of health, and four years as secretary of the city board of health.  He also
served as United States pension examiner for one year, and is the present
medical examiner for the government civil service in the fourth
congressional district.  He is a member of the Indiana Institute of
   John E. Osborn made his first start in Democratic politics immediately
after reaching his majority and has taken a keen interest in political
affairs ever since.  As member of the Democratic state central committee
from the sixth congressional district from January, 1908, to January, 1912,
his wise and judicious management of Democratic affairs was largely
responsible for the election of many Democrats to office.  When Finley Gray
was elected to Congress in 1912, he was the first Democrat to go to Congress
from this district for twenty-five years.  Mr. Osborn deserves no little
share of the credit for bringing about the election of this Democratic
   Mrs. Osborn is an active member of the Christian church of Greensburg.
Mr. and Mrs. Osborn are prominent in the various activities of the community
which go toward making it a better and happier place in which to live.
Their influence is always cast in behalf of all humanitarian and benevolent
projects and in this way they have earned the commendation of all those with
whom they come into contact.

Bio. of Joseph Osbon

   History of Hancock County, Indiana, Indianapolis, IN, Federal
   Publishing Co., 1916.  Page 943.  (transcript)

   Joseph Osbon is a native of Hancock county, having been born on a farm
adjoining the one he now owns i Green township, in 1855, and is the son of
C.G. and Sarah Prater (Martin) Osbon, the father being a native of Kentucky
and the mother having been born in Ohio.
   Jackson Osbon, the father of C.G. Osbon, was one of the early pioneers of
the county, having settled in Center township, where he was engaged in
farming.  He was at one time one of the county officials.  John and
Elizabeth Martin, the maternal grandparents of Joseph Osbon, were also early
settlers in the county and they, too, settled in Center township.  They came
to the country when it was one vast wilderness.  Here they entered one
hundred and sixty acres of land.  There was no house for the family, so they
lived in the wagon until the log cabin was erected and ready to occupy.
   C.G. Osbon received his education in the rural schools of the township
and later learned the blacksmith trade.  He followed his trade for many
years and was also engaged in farming.  He owned eighty acres on which he
had his shop.  Much of the land was cleared by himself as well as the
erection of the buildings.  He was considered the best smith in the county,
in that day.  He was perhaps the only man in the county who ever welded,
successfully, a sickle bar to a reaping machine.
   To C.G. Osbon and wife were born the following children: Jasper, who
served in the Fifty-third Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, during the
Civil War; Amanda, Roena, Joseph, Clara and Martha.
   Joseph Osbon received his education in the schools of Green township.
After leaving school he removed to an adjoining farm, in 1875, where he has
since made his home.  He owns one hundred and twenty-three acres of well
improved land.  The buildings, which were all erected by him, are
substantial and modern.
   On December 20, 1874, Joseph Osbon was united in marriage to Rebecca
Hunt, the daughter of John and Mary Hunt.  To this union two children were
born: Sarah Lucinda, the wife of A.W. Keller, a farmer of Green township,
and Marie, at home.  Mr. and Mrs. Keller are the parents of one child, Ada

Bio. of Othel L. Osburn

   History of Montgomery County, Indiana, Vol. II, Indianapolis, IN,
   A.W. Bowen & Co., 1913.  Page 1000.  (transcript)

   Although young in years Othel L. Osburn of Wayne township, Montgomery
county, well known contractor and at this writing trustee of his township,
has succeeded admirably at his life work and at the same time his record and
reputation are first class for integrity and reliability in all matters
entrusted to him.  His success thus far has been achieved by improved
opportunities, by untiring diligence and by close study and correct judgment
of men and motives.  In every walk of life his career has been upright and
honorable, and he is well liked by all who know him, but this is not to be
wondered at, rather to be expected, when one learns that he is a
representative of one of the best and most honorable old families of this
county, the reputation of which he has ever sought to keep untarnished.
   Othel L. Osburn was born on February 29, 1872 in Wayne township, this
county.  He is a son of R.S. and Mary (Grenard) Osburn.  The father was born
on February 21, 1849, and the mother was born on February 19, 1852.  The
father is still living, making his home in Rogersville, Missouri, where he
is engaged in the newspaper business.  The death of the mother occurred in
   The father of our subject became a well educated man, principally through
his own efforts.  He taught school for some time in his earlier years,
becoming a newspaper editor later in life, and was very successful in both
lines of endeavor; he published a paper in the town of Rogersville and it
became a very influential factor in that country.  R.S. Osborn has also
farmed some.  His family consisted of but two children, namely: Othel L., of
this sketch; and Bertha, who was born August 15, 1878, is living in
Montgomery county, Indiana.
   Othel L. Osburn received a good common school education, and attended
high school in Waynetown.  He began life by working on the farm which he
followed until about six years ago when he turned his attention to bridge
and road contracting in this county which he has continued to follow with
pronounced success to the present time.  He constructs his bridges for the
most part of concrete, and his work is most satisfactory in every respect
for it is both well and honestly done and he is kept busy all the time,
being one of the best known contractors in his line in this part of the
country.  He has been very successful in a financial way and was the owner
of a good farm which he operated on a large scale until the spring of 1912
when he sold it, and has since devoted his attention exclusively to
   Mr. Osburn has never married.  Fraternally, he is a member of the Masonic
Order and the Knights of Pythias, both at Waynestown.  He is a member of the
Baptist church, and politically votes the Democratic ticket.  He had filled
most acceptably the offices of supervisor, assessor and trustee, honestly
and faithfully discharging the duties entrusted to him, for the past
fourteen years.  At the present time Mr. Osburn is in charge of the
construction of a consolidated school at Waynetown, which will be the
largest building in the county outside of Crawfordsville.

Bio. of James Harvey Osborne

   History of Montgomery County, Indiana, Vol. II, Indianapolis, IN,
   A.W. Bowen & Co., 1913.  Page 1273.  (transcript)
   [Grandson of Anderson Osborn-2892]

   Although a school man in the broadest sense of the term and as such
making every other consideration secondary to his professional duties,
Professor James Harvey Osborne, of Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana,
has never become narrow or pedantic as have so many whose lives have been
spent in intimate association with the immature minds within the four walls
of the schoolroom.  He is a well rounded, symmetrically developed man, fully
alive to the demands of the times, thoroughly informed on the leading
questions before the public and takes broad views of men and things.  By
keeping in touch with the times and the trend of current thought he is
enabled to discharge the duties of citizenship in the intelligent manner
becoming the level headed American of today, and his acquaintance with the
history of the country and its institutions makes him, in the true meaning
of the word, a politician, although he has in every way avoided any public
connection with politics as we usually use the term.  He believes in progess
in other than the profession to which he belongs and, to attain the end,
manifests an abiding interest in whatever makes for the material, moral and
civic advancement of the community, encouraging all worthy enterprises and
lending his influence to means whereby his fellow men may be benefited.
   Professor Osborne was born on July 29, 1847 near Roachdale, Putnam
county, Indiana.  He is a son of John Joseph Osborne, who was born on
October 4, 1828 in Kentucky, and when two years old, in 1830, his parents
brought him to Putnam county, Indiana, where he grew to manhood, received
such education as the schools of these early days afforded, and there spent
the rest of his life engaged in agricultural pursuits.  He was always
interested in public affairs and was influential in the ranks of the
Republican party.  He was an elder in the Presbyterian church in the early
part of his life.  His death occurred near Bainbridge, Indiana, in January,
1908.  The mother of our subject was born on March 28, 1833, near
Bainbridge, this state, and her death occurred on December 26, 1911.  To
John J. Osborne and wife five children were born, all living but one,
namely: Mrs. Mary E. Allison; George C. is deceased; James H., of this
review; Caroline B., who married a Mr. Hutchins; and Jennie Josephine who
has remained single.
   Professor Osborne received his early education in the common schools of
his native community, and he grew to manhood on the home farm.  Later in his
boyhood days he entered Wabash College, where he made an excellent record
for scholarship and was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts with
the class of 1879.  The degree of Master of Arts was conferred on him by
this institution in 1885.  He was a student of law for two years in
Crawfordsville.  He did not, however, find Blackstone and Kent as much to
his liking as a career of teaching so finally gave up the idea of a legal
course.  He became tutor in Wabash College until 1885, then was made
assistant principal in the preparatory department, which position he held
until 1893, then became associate professor of mathematics and Latin, then
for two years he was professor of history here and from 1900 to the present
time he has filled the chair of associate professor  f<sic> mathematics and
Latin.  As an instructor he has given eminent satisfaction to all concerned
and has been a favorite with the hundreds of pupils who have come under him,
for he is both an instructor and entertainer in the school room, and, having
remained a profound student, he has kept fully abreast of the times in all
that pertains to the branches which he teaches.
   Professor Osborne was married on May 21, 1881 to Grace A. Insley, of
Crawfordsville, who was born on October 21, 1881<sic> at Sugar Grove,
Tippecanoe county, Indiana.  When a child, her parents brought her to
Crawfordsville where she grew to womanhood and was educated, passing through
the common and high schools.  She is a daughter of James J. and Adeline
(Montgomery) Insley.  Her mother was a daughter of Isaac Montgomery.
   To our subject and wife three children have been born, namely: Helen,
born June 3, 1885, married Harley T. Ristine; she attended high school and
studied music; Mr. Ristine is an attorney in Crawfordsville.  James I., the
Professor's second child, was born February 25, 1887, is a graduate of
Wabash College, class of 1906; he later spent a year at Columbia University,
New York City, and he is now a student at Oxford, England, having been
granted a Rhode's scholarship.  Elsie Eleanor, youngest of our subject's
children, was born on June 18, 1889, received her education in the schools
of Crawfordsville and in Northwestern University, at Chicago, and later
studied at Depauw University, Greencastle, and she is now engaged in
teaching in the city schools of Crawfordsville.
   Professor Osborne owns a pleasant home adjoinging the campus of Wabash
College, and he owns a productive and well improved farm in Putnam county.
   Politically, the Professor is a Republican.  He is a member of the Center
Presbyterian church, and has been a ruling elder in the same for nearly
twenty years.  He has an honorary scholarship in the Phi Beta Kappa
fraternity, a society for the promotion of scholarship and friendship among
students and graduates of American colleges.  In the summers of 1901-3, he
did post-graduate work in the University of Wisconsin.

Obit. of Mrs. Hiram Kinmon

   The News-Herald, Vol. LXXII, No. 1, Owenton, KY, Thursday,
   Jan. 4, 1940.

   Mrs. Mattie Osborne Kinmon, 59, wife of Hiram Kinmon of Bromley,
succumbed Friday, Dec. 22, at the St. Elizabeth Hospital, Covington, after
undergoing an appendicitis and gallstone operation there.  Funeral services
were conducted by Rev. Nelson Osborne of Williamstown on Sunday, December
24, in the Concord Baptist church, followed by interment in the cemetery
there.  Besides her husband, the deceased is survived by six daughters, Mrs.
Lonnie Thompson, Mrs. Mike Brewen, Mrs. Herman Mason, Mrs. Lloyd Wainscott
and Elva, all of Covington, and Mrs. Clarence Wilhoite of Wheatley; a son
Hiram Samuel Kinmon of Sparta; her mother, Mrs. Mary Ann Osborne; three
sisters, Mrs. Floyd Cammack of Sparta, Mrs. Grover Kinmon and Mrs. Jake
Berkley, both of Jonesville, and five brothers, Revell Osborne of Covington,
Russell Osborne of Burlington, William and Johnson Osborne of Jonesville,
and John and Rash Osborne of Long Ridge.

Obit. of James H. Hammonds

   The News-Herald, Vol. LXXII, No. 1, Owenton, KY, Thursday,
   Jan. 4, 1940.

   James H. Hammonds, 76 years old, died Thursday, December 28, at his home
near Canby.  The funeral was conducted Saturday by Rev. Orlie Hale in the
New Columbus Baptist church, followed by burial in the New Columbus
cemetery.  His widow, Mrs. Sallie Glass Hammonds; a daughter, Mrs. Milton
Keith; two sons, Lloyd B. and George Hammonds, all of home, and a sister are
among the survivors.

Obit. of Mrs. John Osborne

   The Grant County News, Williamstown, KY, Friday, Nov. 7, 1947.

Mrs. John Osborne
   Mrs. John Osborne passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. L.N.
Stamper, at Mt. Zion Saturday morning.
   She leaves her husband and one other daughter, Mrs. Kinman; and one son.
Funeral services were conducted Monday afternoon at the Warsaw Baptist
Church by Rev. A.R. Abernathy and Rev. Curry.  Interment was in Owenton
cemetery.  Funral arrangements under direction of Eckler Funeral Home.

Memorial to Sallie Ann Osborne Burns

   The Grant County News, Williamstown, KY, Friday, Oct. 2, 1936.

   Of Sallie Ann Osborne Burns, born August 14, 1879, died September 17th,
1936, at the age of 57 years, 1 month and 3 days.  She united in marriage to
Elonzo Burns, Dec. 24, 1899, to this union 7 children were born, four of
them having passed to the great beyond.  Those living are: Ezra Burns, of
Covington; Georgie Mae and Irene Burns; besides these three children she
leaves to mourn his loss, a husband; three brothers; one sister and many
other relatives and friends.
   Funeral services were held at the Bethany Baptist Church by Bros. N.B.
Osborne and Forrest Taylor.  Interment was made in the Holbrook cemetery
under the direction of Harry J. Eckler, undertaker, of Dry Ridge.
<Poem follows>