\osborne\biograph\newbio6 Updated: 1/1/2009
Bio. of Roswell Osborn
History of Sandusky County, Ohio, H.Z. Williams & Bro., Cleveland,
1882. Page 591. (transcript)
Roswell Osborn, a native of New York, was born in 1800<sic>. He married
for his first wife, Phebe Card, who died in New York in 1830, leaving eight
children. He married for his second wife Mida Lansing, by whom he had three
children. The family came to Ohio about 1835 and settled in Huron county.
He was a Baptist minister, and about five years were occupied in preaching.
About 1840 Mr. Osborn settled in Ballville township and remained about nine
years. He then moved to Wisconsin, where he died in 1860. Enos, the sixth
child, was born in New York in 1820<sic>. He came to Ballville with the
family in 1840 and has continued his residence here since that time. In
1847 he married Margaret Strohl, who died in 1863, aged thirty-four years,
leaving six children, viz: James, editor Fremont Messenger; George, resides
in Logan county, Ohio; William, Roswell P., Anna, and Idella (Hufford),
Ballville township. Mr. Osborn married for his second wife Leah Brunthaver,
by whom he has had one child -- Frank, Mr. Osborn was a soldier in the
Bio. of David M. Osburn-14073
Portrait and Biographical Record of Fayette, Pickaway and Madison
Counties, Ohio, Chapman Bros., Chicago, 1892. Page 564. (transcript)
[See the bio. of George William Gatch]
[See the bio. of Cargle Chitty]
REV. DAVID M. OSBURN. This honored resident of Fayette County, who is
residing on a beautiful farm in Jasper Township, has been a minister of the
Methodist Episcopal Church for a period of thirty-three years. He is the
son of David Osburn, a native of Kentucky, who was born in 1787. His
father, David Osburn, hailed from Virginia and removed to the Blue Grass
State in an early day. He was one of those who were besieged in the fort
there, and was released by Gen. Anthony Wayne. He later removed to this
State and, locating on a farm in Clermont County, improved his tract and
there passed his last days.
The mother of our subject was known in her maiden days as Miss Precosia
Gatch, a native of Virginia and the daughter of the Rev. Philip Gatch, who
was a member of the first Methodist Episcopal Church held at Baltimore, Md.
After his marriage, the father of Mrs. Osburn located in Virginia on the
James River, whence he removed to Buckingham County. In 1800, he came West
to Clermont County, this State, where he died.
The parents of Mr. Osburn, of this sketch, were married in the
above-named county and in 1833 removed to Greene County, where they made
their permanent home, the father dying in 1843 and the mother in 1864, at
the age of eighty-five years. To them were born four children, two of whom
are living. The original of this sketch was born May 2, 1819, in Clermont
County, where he was reared on his father's farm, being trained to all the
duties pertaining to a farmer's boy.
Our subject began life on his own responsibility when twenty years of
age, at which time he was married to Miss Cynthia Jackson, who was born in
Clinton County, Ohio, in 1821. Our subject then settled in Greene County,
in what is now Jefferson Township, on a wild tract of land, which his energy
and perseverance brought to a good state of cultivation. Mrs. Osburn died
in 1852, having become the mother of six children, one of whom is deceased.
Rebecca Ann is the widow of Cargell Chitty and has nine children; Nathaniel
C. married Susannah Griffith, is the father of four children and makes his
home in Missouri; Charity P. became the wife of Harrison Williamson, lives
in Montgomery County, this State, and is the mother of six children; Nancy
J. is the wife of J. C. Ogburn, has two children by her present marriage
and five by a former marriage, and resides in Iowa; William J. is single.
Our subject was again married, in 1853, this time to Narcissa Carpenter,
who was born in Greene County in 1830. She departed this life the year
following her marriage, after having borne her husband one child. Miss
Charlotte Ferguson was married to Mr. Osburn in 1855; she was born in
Virginia in 1831, and by her union with our subject became the mother of
one child; she died in 1859. The present partner of our subject was before
her marriage Miss Susannah Christy, to whom he was united in 1861. She is
the daughter of Samuel and Rosanna (Creamer) Christy, natives of Berkeley
County, Va., the father born in 1780 the mother in 1790. Mr. Christy was
a soldier during the War of 1812, coming three years later to Washington
C.H., where he opened a blacksmith-shop. The Creamer family came to Ohio
in 1807, and resided for three years in Ross County. Later, they removed
to Jefferson Township, Fayette County, locating on a wild tract of land,
and there passed the remainder of their lives, the father dying in 1826 and
the mother in 1810. This was the family to which Mrs. Osburn's mother
belonged. Mr. and Mrs. Christy located in Jasper Township in 1833, where
the father, at the date of his death, was the owner of five hundred acres
of valuable land. To them were born five children, of whom Mrs. Osburn is
the only survivor, her birth occurring December 14, 1825.
To Mr. and Mrs. Osburn has been born one son, David F. Our subject is
the possessor of one hundred and fifty-two and one-half acres of land,
which he has brought to a good state of cultivation, having placed thereon
numerous and substantial outbuildings. Socially, he is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which body he is Chaplain.
Politically, he votes with the Republican party and has served his
fellow-townsmen in the capacity of Justice of the Peace.
Two sons of Mr. Osburn, by his first wife, served in the late war.
Elihu B. being a member of Company I, Thirty-first Ohio Infantry, served
all through the conflict and was killed in 1875 by Indians at Ft. Sill.
Nathaniel C. was a member of the Twelfth Ohio Battery, and fought in defense
of his country for more than four years. Our subject is an ordained
minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has done active work in that
body since twenty-three years of age. Grandfather Philip Gatch was Justice
of the Peace and also Associate Judge in Clermont County for twenty-one
years. Grandfather Creamer was also Justice of the Peace and very prominent
in local affairs.
Bio. of George William Gatch
History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio, Byron Williams,
Milford, OH, Hobart Publishing Co., 1913. Vol. II, page 466. (transcript)
[See the bio. of David M. Osburn]
GEORGE WILLIAM GATCH.
Mr. George William Gatch, one of the native sons of Clermont county, who
has sought occupation in other fields, is a mail carrier of Cincinnati,
residing on Cleveland avenue, Milford, Ohio. He is a son of Rev. George
Gatch and was born on the old Gatch farm, near Milford, Ohio, November 6,
1842. He is also a grandson of the Rev. Philip Gatch, whose life record
appears in these volumes.
The children of the Rev. Philip Gatch were:
Precosia, whose first marriage was to Mr. Garland. She was again
married to a Mr. Osburn.
Conduce, married Peggy McGrew.
Thomas, married first, Miss Barber, and second, Miss Lucinda
George, married Sarah Jones.
Ruth, married Michael Swing, and a son of theirs, Philip B., became
United States district judge.
Elizabeth, became the wife of Aaron Matson.
Philip, first married Miss Dimmitt, and second Miss Susan Ulrey.
George Catch, the father of our subject, was born on a farm near
Fredericksburg, Va., and was two years of age when his father, the Rev.
Philip Gatch, came to Ohio, making the trip from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati
on a flat boat. He was reared and educated in the schools of Clermont
county, where the family finally located, and when quite young began his
life in the ministry as a circuit rider. He married Miss Sarah Jones and
settled on the "Old Gatch Farm," becoming a local preacher. He was the
father of the following children:
John Jones, who died at the age of twenty-two years.
Asbury Phillip, married Etta Hopper, and died in 1911, leaving two
children. He was a captain in the Ninth Ohio cavalry during the
late rebellion, and served until the close of the war, going
with General Sherman to the sea. Rachel, passed from this life
at the age of twenty-two years.
Elizabeth, died in early life.
Virginia, married Charles J. Buckingham, and died in 1868, at the
age of thirty-five years.
Precosia, passed away in early life.
George William, the subject of this mention.
Mahala, married Charles J. Buchingham, and died when a young woman,
leaving two children.
Samuel, married Lillian Wiggs. They live in Los Angeles, Cal., and
have one child.
George William Catch grew to young manhood on the home farm and received
a good common school education, learning the details of farm life. November
30, 1871, he was united in marriage to Mary E. Boyer, of Milford, who is a
daughter of Thomas Wallace and Eunice (Condit) Boyer. They have had two
children born to their union:
Fannie B. is at home.
George W., married Miss Emma Vogt, and is a farmer of Montana. They
have two sons, George Albert and Wallace B.
From the "Old Gatch Farm," George William inherited one hundred and
sixty-six acres on which was the house built by his grandfather, Rev. Philip
Gatch, and was the first frame building in this part of the country. It was
used as a meeting place for the Methodists believers and sheltered many of
the circuit riders of that day. In 1885, Mr. Gatch sold all of this farm
with the exception of forty-six acres surrounding the home, and in the same
year received an appointment as carrier of the mail in Cincinnati, and is
still in the service.
Mr. Gatch was reared a Republican, but has taken no active part in
politics. He and his charming wife are active members of the Methodist
church of which Mrs. Gatch has taught in the Sunday school for many years,
and has been most successful in this line of church work, she being popular
with the young people. In 1867, Mr. Gatch became a member of the Free and
Accepted Masons, of Milford, Ohio, and has filled all the chairs of his
local lodge. In the latter years of the late war he joined the army,
enlisting in Company H, One Hundred and Fifty-third Ohio volunteer infantry,
and was in the service of his country until the close of the war.
Bio. of L.D. Kennedy
History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio, Byron Williams,
n.d. Page 651. (transcript)
Mr. L.D. Kennedy, who has for many years been prominently identified
with the business activities of Bethel, Ohio, is one of its most highly
esteemd citizens. He is a son of Aaron and Mary Ann (Hals) Kennedy and was
born in Tate township, Clermont county, Ohio, May 16, 1838. Aaron Kennedy
was born in Maryland and came to Clermont county when a young boy. Mary Ann
(Hals) Kennedy was born in England and came to America at the age of twelve
years. Both have left this life and their remains repose in the Bethel
Mr. L.D. Kennedy is the fourth of ten children, five of whom are still
Lucitta, who married Joseph Turner, resides in Illinois.
Asbury is a resident of Williamsburg, Ohio.
Alpines and Hals live in the State of Washington.
The subject of our sketch, Mr. L.D. Kennedy, was educated in the schools
of Clermont county and of Bethel, making his home with his father on the
farm until he was of age, thus forming in his early years habits of industry
On February 9, 1862, occurred the great event of his life, when he was
united in marriage to Miss Phoebe Olive Osborn, daughter of David and
Minerva (Hill) Osborn. David Osborn was a cabinetmaker and later was for
years an undertaker at the Bethel home. The marriage vows were taken in the
beautiful home in which the bride was born and reared to young womanhood,
and where many happy, joyous days have since been spent, it being their
present home. Mrs. Kennedy's father was a native of Clermont county and her
mother was born in Kentucky. They are both laid to rest in the Bethel
cemetery. Mrs. Kennedy is the only living one of three children.
Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy are the proud parents of nine children and the
family circle is still unbroken by the hand of death:
Araminta is the wife of John Clare, of Cincinnati. They have five
Glow married Walter Lee, residing at Fargo, N.D., and they have
one daughter, Helen.
Howard, of Cincinnati, a steam fitter.
Blanche married Lou Runk and is the mother of three children,
Margie, Araminta and Lucile.
Phoebe Ann, wife of Howard Scott, of Cincinnati, and they have one
son, Thomas; and Gladys.
A. Osborn, a resident of Bethel, Ohio, married Clara Johnson and is
the father of four children, Earl, Roy, Herbert and Thelma.
Minerva is Mrs. John Frazier, of Rushville, Ind., and they have
four children: Byron, married and has one daughter, Mary Frances;
Harley; Effie, and Charles.
Miss Effie is living at home with her parents.
Emma is the widow of Wilson Smith and lives at home with her
Charles, who is a shoecutter, of Bethel, Ohio, married Ollie Bier,
has two children, Dewrel and Dyrl.
La Clede is in business with his father, living next door to him.
He married Bertha Reed.
Clarence E. assists his father.
David Osborn is at home.
Two years after his marriage Mr. Kennedy embarked in the business of
undertaker and funeral director with his father-in-law, the firm being
Osborn & Kennedy. The progressive ideas and business ability have been
thoroughly demonstrated in the years of service in this capacity. Those in
trouble and distress have always found in Mr. Kennedy a kind and sympathetic
friend, faithful and reliable in all things.
Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy experience a pleasure that is enjoyed by
comparatively few, when, on February 9, 1912, they celebrated their golden
wedding anniversary. Their beautiful home was decorated in white and gold,
the favors being tiny golden bells. Three of the relatives who attended the
ceremony fifty years ago were in attendance and the occasion was made joyous
and gay by the presence of all of their own children and fifteen
grandchildren. A sumptuous dinner was served to the children and
grandchildren, following which a reception was given to about seventy-five
friends. Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy have been privileged to attend seven other
golden weddings of relatives and friends. They are justly proud of the fine
family they were permitted to rear to maturity. Mrs. Kennedy is a lady of
great ability as a wife, mother and member of society. Mr. Kennedy is a man
of integrity and industry, broad-minded and liberal. This is the oldest
established undertaking business in Clermont county, having been started by
David Osborn some seventy-five years ago. Mr. Kennedy has conducted the
business for forty-six years, since November, 1866.
Bio. of Mrs. L.A. Osborne
Commemorative Biographical Record of the Counties of Huron and Lorain,
Ohio, Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1894.
Page 1010 (section on Lorain Co.) (transcript)
MRS. L.A. OSBORNE, a resident of North Amherst, was born in Orwel, Vt.,
daughter of Ira W. and Lucy Smith, also natives of Vermont, where they were
married, and where ten children were born to them.
In the fall of 1832 Ira W. Smith came west to Lorain county, Ohio (the
trip being made for the most part by water), and purchased a considerable
amount of land about one mile from the present village of North Amherst.
Later on the rest of the family joined him; but he was not fated to long
enjoy his new home, for in the spring of the following year, just six weeks
after the arrival of his wife and children, he was killed by a falling tree
while out in the woods making a roadway through, on his land, which is now
called the Middle Ridge. He was in his fifty-second year at the time, and
his sudden taking off was a terrible blow to the family; his widow died
about twenty years ago at the age of eighty-one years. They had a family
of ten children, of whom the following is a brief record: (1) Lucy married
Daniel Cuts, and settled in Windham, Portage Co., Ohio, where she died.
(2) Ira W. was a landowner, farmer and stockman at Kankakee, Ill., and died
there leaving a numerous family. (3) M.D. was a stockman and landowner at
Wellington, Ohio, where he died leaving a large family. (4) Sarah Ann
married a Mr. Streator in Vermont, and died in Licking county, Ohio. (5)
Mariette is the wife of Orlum Winton, of North Amherst, Ohio. (6) Russell
was a ranchman, and died at his residence in the city of Stockton, Cal.
(7) John (deceased) was a farmer in Iowa. (8) Jane married Samuel Vining,
and died in Illinois. (9) Charles died in Kansas. (10) L.A., the subject
proper of this memoir, born in 1832, was married in 1850, at the age of
seventeen, to William Walker, who was born in the State of New York and
reared at North Amherst, Ohio. He died sixteen years after marriage,
leaving three children, viz.: Zuleina L., wife of A.V. Kent, of Toledo,
Ohio, by whom she has three children: Loula L., Grace E. and Amos Ross;
Charles, a farmer on Middle Ridge, Amherst township, Lorain Co.. Ohio (he
has one child, Bertie); and William K., who died in October, 1892, aged
Our subject was married, the second time, in 1868, to Henry A. Osborne,
a native of Lorain county, born in Avon, but most of whose early life was
passed in Pennsylvania. After marriage they made their home in Amherst
township. He was a soldier during the war of the Rebellion, and in the
service contracted consumption of which he died July 26, 1871. One child
was born to this union: Maude E., now the wife of J.H. Wright, of
Grindstone City, on Lake Huron. For the past sixteen years Mrs. Osborne
has lived on Church street, North Amherst, and among her children. She is
identified with the Congregational Church; her second husband was a member
of the M.E. Church.
Mrs. L.A. Osborne's early education was limited to the common schools,
but an ambition to excel caused her to attain intelligence and culture
rapidly, and this, coupled with a handsome appearance and genial
disposition, made her an early favorite in society. Her first busband was
an excellent business man, and the Walker family became known as one of the
prosperous and leading families of Lorain county. Mrs. Osborne had grave
responsibilities left upon her by her first husband's death; but she
succeeded well. She is still young looking, and still among the social
leaders of North Amherst. She is an active church worker, and one of the
leaders of the Ladies’ Relief Corps of North Amherst.
Bio. of Andrew Osborn-6705
Commemorative Biographical Record of the Counties of Huron and Lorain,
Ohio, Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1894.
Page 1099 (section on Lorain Co.) (transcript)
ANDREW OSBORN, one of the oldest and most prominent of the agricultural
citizens of Columbia township, is a native of Ohio, born in Summit county
in 1823, a son of Joseph and Phila (Ball) Osborn, of Connecticut.
About the year 1811 Joseph Osborn, father of subject, came from the
"Nutmeg State" to Ohio, making the journey in four weeks on foot, and after
locating in Brimfield township, Portage county, returned for his wife, whom
he had left behind in Connecticut. From Portage they moved to Summit
county, same State, whence they came, in 1836, to Columbia township, Lorain
county, and hewed out a new home in the wild woods. He was a useful man in
his day, serving as trustee and assessor of Columbia township, of which he
was a resident half a century. He was born at Waterbury, Conn., May 13,
1794, and died August 27, 1887, at the advanced age of ninety-three years,
three months; he had served in the war of 1812, and was the recipient of a
pension. Before coming to Columbia township he built the locks at Akron,
Ohio, and helped to raise the first building. Mr. Osborn was twice married,
first time to Phila Ball, who bore him three children: Andrew, subject of
sketch; Phebe Ann, deceased at the age of thirteen; and Hannah, wife of
Ormal Smith, of Olmsted township, Cuyahoga county. The mother of these
died in 1831, and in 1832 Mr. Osborn married, in Summit county, Roba
Harrington, who died April 17, 1875. Grandfather Andrew Osborn was a native
of Connecticut, born of English ancestry.
The subject of this sketch was thirteen years old when he came with his
parents to Lorain county, and as a consequence be received part of his
education in Summit county, Ohio, and part in Columbia township, Lorain
county. Since coming to Columbia he has lived with his father upon the old
homestead, his present place, comprising 180 acres of well-cultivated land,
where he is engaged in general agriculture. In September, 1848, he was
united in marriage with Miss Harriet Ives, daughter of Albert and Betsy
(Russell) Ives, natives, the father of Connecticut, the mother of New York,
who became early settlers of Columbia township, Lorain county, where they
passed the rest of their days. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Osborn: George, married to Mrs. Mary (Hill) Harrington; Joseph, married to
Jessie Jasper, and has one child, Bertha; Charley, who married Lizzie
Yurman, and has two children, Lilly and Leon; Phila, married to Warren
Goodman, and has two children, Guy and Forest; Mary, wife of George Howard,
of Columbia township, has three children, Emma, Vivian and Clare; Frank,
born November 6, 1851, died at the age of nineteen, and three that died in
infancy. In his political predilections Mr. Osborn was originally a Whig,
and, since the formation of the party, has been a straight Republican. He
and his wife have now for half a century traveled together the highway of
life; and it is the earnest wish of their many friends that they may be
spared to see many more anniversaries of the commencement of their married
Bio. of David C. Osborne
Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio, Embracing the Counties of
Ashtabula, Trumbull and Mahoning, Chicago, The Lewis Publishing Co.,
1893. Page 145. (transcript)
Also on page 145 of Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio,
Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake published by
The Lewis Publishing Co., 1893.
[See the bio. of Harris B. Osborne]
[See the bio. of Bryan Hill Osborne]
DAVID C. OSBORNE, D.D., a prominent minister of the East Ohio Conference,
stationed at Conneaut, Ohio, has long been identified with the ministry of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. Following is a brief sketch of his life:
David C. Osborne was born in Ripley, Chautauqua county, New York, August
3, 1831, son of P.S. and Mary A. (Platt) Osborne, natives of Washington
county, New York. His father was a tanner, currier and shoemaker in early
life, and later a merchant in Sherman, New York. He filled several minor
offices in his county, and was well known there. He was reared in the
United Presbyterian Church, but became a Methodist and was a member of that
church up to the time of his death, in 1871, at the age of eighty-three
years. His wife died July 31, 1846, at the age of forty-three. She was a
Presbyterian for many years. They had a family of four sons and six
daughters, David C., the subject of this article, being the oldest. The
other sons are Platt S., Harris B. and James W. Platt S. learned his
father's trade and was engaged in business until death, September 12, 1887.
He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was an active and
useful man, being gifted in music. Harris B. is an eminent physician in
Kalamazoo, Michigan, and James W., also of Kalamazoo, has attained
prominence as an attorney. Of the daughters we record that Lucretia is the
wife of Dr. C. P. Graves, of Alden, Illinois; Ann, wife of Dr. S. McNair,
Blackberry, Illinois; Harriet, wife of Hon. S.P. McCalmont, of Franklin,
Pennsylvania; Cynthia died at the age of thirty-three years; Isadore, wife
of F.L. Brown, of South Vernon, Vermont; and Mary, widow of Mr. Benedict,
Sherman, New York.
David C. Osborne entered the ministry at the age of twenty-two years,
and has since been actively engaged in the work of the Master. Previous to
the division of the Erie Conference, he was a member of that body, and since
then has belonged to the East Ohio Conference, filling many of its best
appointments, both as stationed minister and as Presiding Elder. Among the
appointments he has filled we mention those of Franklin, Titusville, New
Castle and Erie in Pennsylvania, and Akron, Cleveland (Erie Street Church),
Steubenville, Massillon, Canton and Youngstown, in Ohio. In many of these
charges churches were built or improved during his pastorate. He came to
Conneaut in October, 1890, and in his labor here has given a high degree of
satisfaction. The present Methodist Church of Conneaut was begun in 1886
by T. F. Phillips. When it was completed money was subscribed to provide
for the debt. The amount, however, was not paid up, and other means were
used to raise the money. Upward of $9,000 has been paid within the past
two years and a half. The church membership has increased, and both the
church and Sabbath-school arc in a flourishing condition.
Dr. Osborne was married in 1856 to Miss Arvilla M. Hill, daughter of Rev.
B.S. and Mary Hill, of Wattsburg, Pennsylvania. Rev. B.S. Hill, a clergyman
in the Methodist Episcopal Church, was at one time the Tract Secretary of
the Erie Conference and a Presiding Elder of the Jamestown district. He
was also a delegate to the General Conference at its session in Boston,
Massachusetts, when, by reason of ill health, he was compelled to assume a
supernumerary relation to the Conference, his friends were so many that he
was elected to the Legislature from the Erie (Pennsylvania) district. He
was appointed Chaplain of the lower house by his official colleagues, who
recognized his great Christian integrity. He retired from the active
ministry and was appointed Postmaster by President Grant, and continued to
hold this office by successive appointments, until the election of
President Cleveland, in 1884. He also served as Justice of the Peace for
two or three terms, and was recognized as a man of great ability and force
of character. Five children were born to Dr. and Mrs. Osborne, and all
received excellent educational advantages, by which they have duly profited.
The names of the children are as follows: Bryan H., David W., Cyrus C., Mary
and Donald P.
Dr. Osborne is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In person he is tall,
of commanding presence, dignified yet cordial in manner. After more than
forty years in the pulpit, he is still an earnest student. He is a preacher
of more than ordinary ability, is modest and retiring in deportment, and is
public-spirited and patriotic. He has been successful in all lines of
church work, and has, by his ability as a preacher and his personal worth
as a Christian man, won the admiration and love of those to whom he has
ministered. Mrs. Osborne is a clergyman's wife in every sense of the word,
being loyal to the cause of Christ and in perfect sympathy with her
Bio. of Harris B. Osborne
Portrait and Biographical Record of Kalamazoo, Allegan and Van Buren
Counties, Michigan, Chicago, Chapman Bros., 1892. Page 915.
[See the bio. of David C. Osborne]
[See the bio. of Bryan Hill Osborne]
HARRIS B. OSBORNE, M.D., was born in Sherman, Chautauqua County, N.Y.,
August 11, 1841. His parents, Platt S. and Mary A. (Platt) Osborne, were
natives of Kingsbury, Washington County, of the same State. His maternal
grandfather was Nehemiah Platt, for whom our subject's father was named, he
being an old friend of David Osborne. The Osborne family traces its
ancestry back to the old Norse conqueror who spelled his name "Asjourn."
Three brothers who had emigrated to America at an early day were driven from
Long Island and their property confiscated on account of their joining the
ranks of the Colonists.
Platt Osborne was a musician in the War of 1812, and lived to the
advanced age of eighty-four years. He was a merchant and manufacturing
tanner. Our subject worked in his father's tannery until reaching his
sixteenth year, when he started out as a peddler of musical instruments and
Yankee notions through Ohio and Illinois, and finally located in Kane
County, the latter State. After three years spent there, he began the study
of medicine under Dr. Samuel McNair, of Blackberry, Ill., attending school
at Elgin and Aurora until 1861, when he entered the State University of
Michigan. After attending there for a period, he enlisted in the Third
Board of Trade Regiment, at Chicago, serving in the field in Mississippi and
Tennessee. He passed examination before the Army Board, and was
commissioned Surgeon at Vicksburg, May 9, 1863, and after the fall of that
city was made Post Surgeon and health officer at that place. He occupied
that position until October, 1866, when the city was turned over to the
In 1866-67, our subject was graduated from the medical department of the
Bellevue Hospital, New York, and began the practice of his profession at his
old home in Sherman, New York, remaining there until 1880. In 1874, Dr.
Osborne took a post-graduate course at the New York College of Physicians &
Surgeons, and, in 1880, came to Kalamazoo, thinking the climate would prove
beneficial to him as he was a great sufferer from asthma.
Dr. Osborne enjoys a lucrative practice, and stands high in the
profession. He is a member of the State Medical Society of New York, the
American Medical Association, the State Medical Association of Michigan, and
the Association of Railroad Surgeons of the United States. He is at the
present time Surgeon of the Kalamazoo Division of the Lake Shore & Michigan
Southern Railroad, and is President of the Borgess Hospital Staff. In
politics, he is a Republican, and is a stockholder in various manufacturing
and business enterprises in the city.
October 29, 1878, Dr. Osborne was married to Miss Nettie J. Ames, a
native of Rutland, Vt. She was a teacher in Kaneville, Kane County, Ill.,
at the time of her marriage. The Doctor is a Free and Accepted Mason,
belonging to both Chapter and Council. He was for a number of years member
of the Pension Board of Examiners. He is a member of the Grand Army of the
Republic. He has been President of the Chautauqua County Medical Society.
With his wife, he is a member of the Congregational Church. They make their
home at No. 122, East Lovell Street, where the Doctor has erected a
handsome, modern brick residence.
Bio. of Solyman Clark Osborn-10988
Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio, Embracing the Counties of
Ashtabula, Trumbull and Mahoning, Chicago, The Lewis Publishing Co.,
1893. Page 233. (transcript)
Also on page 233 of Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio,
Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake published
by The Lewis Publishing Co., 1893.
[See the bio. of S.W. Osborn-10989]
SOLYMAN CLARK OSBORN, second son and child of Samuel Osborn, Jr., and Polly
(Webster) Osborn, was born in Franklin, Delaware county, New York, January
1, 1807. He removed with his parents in the fall of 1813, to Jefferson,
Ashtabula county, Ohio, to Erie, Pennsylvania, in 1814, to Huron county
(now Erie), Ohio, in 1817. Here his father died in September, 1819, and
the family returned to Jefferson. His residence has been since in Ashtabula
county, where his time has been consecutively passed at school, learning the
clothes-making trade, running a cloth factory, merchandising, milling, and
lastly on the small fruit farm on which he now lives in Ashtabula. He was
married in Conneaut, Ohio, October 5, 1831, to Harriet Sanford, daughter of
Eli Sanford and Sarah (Wheeler) Sanford, of Conneaut, who was born in
Conneaut, September 16, 1815, and is still hiving. Both he and his
venerable wife are in comfortable health and actively engaged in labor,
-- he with his grapes and fruit and she keeping the house. Both united
early in life with the Baptist Church, and have been always active working
members in good standing. Mr. Osborn's paternal and maternal grandfather<sic>
were Revolutionary soldiers; his father was long connected with the militia
of Delaware county, in some command. Of these offices he can only remember
that of adjutant of the regiment. He was out for some time as a volunteer
in the war of 1812. He was a farmer, lumberman and a breeder and lover of
good horses, and he was also a hunter and natural mechanic. He possessed
great physical strength, which proved, however, to be no defense against
the malaria of the section known in those early days as the West.
Mr. Osborn and his wife are of New England stock, his father coming from
East Windsor, Connecticut, and his mother from Litchfield county,
Connecticut. Mrs. Osborn's father and mother also came from Connecticut.
It may be said of his ancestry on both sides, if not great they were good,
being pious, honest, temperate and industrious.
Mr. and Mrs. Osborn have not been blessed with children. An adopted
daughter, now Mrs. Charles Hall, of Conneaut, holds them in loving,
grateful remembrance, as do also two motherless nieces of Mrs. Osborn
-- Mrs. Aaron Pickett and Mrs. Hulburt, of Ashtabula, both of whom were
tenderly reared from childhood to maturity at the home of their aunt.
Bio. of Levi Osborne-7270
Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio, Embracing the Counties of
Ashtabula, Trumbull and Mahoning, Chicago, The Lewis Publishing Co.,
1893. Page 699. (transcript)
ELDER LEVI OSBORNE, a prominent merchant of Youngstown, Ohio, and a widely
and favorably known minister of the Disciples' Church, was born in Danbury,
Connecticut, January 28, 1824. He comes of patriotic American stock, his
paternal grandfather, also Levi Osborne, after whom the subject of this
sketch is named, having been a faithful soldier in the Revolutionary war
three years and drew a pension for his services thus rendered. He is,
however, best known as one of the original workers and for many years a
minister in the Disciples' Church, possessing the stern qualities of a
spiritual leader as well as the determined will of a Revolutionary soldier.
He was a man of marked ability, religious zeal and practical goodness,
enjoying great popularity, his influence being far-reaching and effective.
He commenced his religious work by going to New York city and being
baptized, and on his return baptized his wife, Miriam, and they practically
worshiped in their own home as a church. They gathered others around them,
until there was a large and devout congregation, and a church of the most
primitive kind was the result. This was the first church of the kind in
New England, and it has now become a powerful organization, owning a large,
pretentious church, and numbering many members. Levi and Miriam continued
devout members of that church until their death, her demise occurring ten
years previous to his. They were leaders of their organization, in which
benevolence to the poor was taught as never before. Miriam, who was a most
saintly, devout woman, of the Dorcas type, and possessing rare intelligence
and Christian character, was appointed by the church to go once a week to
distribute the contributions of the church among the poor, entire confidence
being reposed in her wisdom and fairness in the distribution. They were
contemporaries of Alexander Campbell. This worthy couple were the parents
of six children, but one of whom now survives, Lucy M., an unmarried lady,
aged eighty-six. White Osborne, father of the subject of this sketch, and
his wife, Margaret (Shepherd) Osborne, were natives of Connecticut, the
latter a daughter of Israel Shepherd, a man of worth and local renown.
White Osborne was engaged in the hat-manufacturing business in Danbury,
that State, in which city was made the first hat ever manufactured in the
United States, that business being the principal enterprise of the place.
White Osborne was a zealous member of the Disciples' Church, imbibing all
the enthusiasm of his godly parents. He died in March, 1850, at the age
of sixty-five, sincerely mourned by all who knew him. This good couple had
seven children<only six named>, four of whom survive: Mary F. is a resident
of Danbury, Connecticut, more than eighty years of age. She has had a
private school for many years and has spent a useful, though not
conspicuous life, and is the personification of goodness. Edward B., a
Senator of New York State, resided in Albany: he died in July, 1893;
William, for many years Government cotton inspector in Mobile, Alabama,
died suddenly in that city, at the age of forty-five; Harvey, in the
mercantile business in Danbury, Connecticut, is seventy-eight years of age;
Levi, whose name heads this sketch; and Harriet, deceased.
The subject of this sketch was reared in his native city and educated in
the common schools and the Danbury Academy. His first practical business
experience was in the printing office of the Danbury Times, which was owned
and managed by his brother Edward B., who, until his death in July, 1893,
was a Senator of New York. Edward published this paper twelve years, after
which be removed to Poughkeepsie, New York, and there published the daily
and weekly Press for eight or ten years, when he was elected to the State
Legislature for two terms. He was afterward County Clerk for three years
and was then elected to the State Senate of New York, in which he was
serving his second term. The subject of this sketch and his brother Harvey
bought Edward's interest in the Danbury paper on the latter's removal to
Poughkeepsie, New York, and these two published that journal during the war.
It was then sold to James M. Bailey, familiarly known as the "Danbury News
Man," who is still publishing it, as the Danbury News. Mr. Bailey wrote
"The Sunny South in Slices," a special work, and many other interesting
publications. After selling his interest in the paper, Mr. Osborne, of this
notice, was elected by the Disciples' Church in Danbury to preach in that
edifice, the members of which had greatly increased in numbers. He was
afterward called to Troy, New York, to take charge of church work there,
where he remained two years, meeting with excellent success, the result of
his unwearying and energetic efforts. He then went to Williamsville, New
York, where he filled the pulpit for three years, having among his
parishioners sixteen teachers, most of whom were from a local academy. He
subsequently went from that city to Buffalo, the same State, where he
remained two years. From there he went to the lumber city of Tonawanda,
New York, in which he remained ten years, and this was the great work of
his life in the ministry. Here he unfortunately lost his voice, through
unremitting and arduous exertions; but of all the places in which he has
worked this has the strongest attraction for him, and to this day the
people there look to him as their spiritual guide. In March, 1886, he came
from Buffalo to Youngstown, accompanied by his son, George, and shortly
afterward started the store of L. Osborne & Company, in which he is senior
member. This is one of the large dry-goods and notion stores in the
vicinity, and is conducted on the strictest business principles and in the
most systematic manner. The result of this excellent management is a large
and growing patronage, founded on the confidence of the people, with its
April 15, 1850, Elder Osborne was married to Miss Mary Emma Moffat, a
lady of culture and refinement, the fourth in a family of five children,
and the only surviving member. Her father, Captain Anthony Moffat, was for
thirty years commander of a merchantman and was afterward Port Warden in
New York city for fifteen years. He later became paralyzed and was removed
to the home of the subject of this sketch in Danbury, Connecticut, where he
died at the age sixty-seven years. Captain Anthony Moffat's father, John
Moffat, was a Major in the Revolution under General George Washington. His
wife, whose maiden name was Julia Curtis, also died at Mr. Osborne's home
some time later, at the same age, sixty-seven. They were a worthy couple
and left many friends to mourn their loss. Mr. and Mrs. Osborne have four
children: Julia, doing excellent service as cashier in her father's store;
George, who started as clerk in Danbury, Connecticut, at fourteen years of
age, serving there for eight years, when he went to Buffalo and was in the
estalishment of Barnes, Bancroft & Company. Here he went from the lowest
counter to the position of manager of the cloak department, where he had
more than 200 ladies under his charge in the manufacture of cloaks. He is
now junior partner of the Youngstown firm. He married Ollie Bellinger, of
Tonawanda, New York, and they have three children: Eugene, Norman and
Marion. Gussie is the wife of Arlington Bellinger, a receiver and
forwarder of lumber, of Tonawanda, and they have two children, Geneva and
Kenneth. Mr. Bellinger had three children by a former marriage: Eva,
Daniel and Frank.
The whole family are members of the Disciples' Church, as were Mr.
Osborne's parents and all their family, except three children. Mr. Osborne
is president of the family reunion of Osbornes, which occurs every August,
more than 100 families being represented. He is president of the Youngstown
Bible Society, which is an auxiliary of the American Bible House, and he is
Elder in the Disciples' Church in Youngstown. His active years have all
been earnestly given to the promotion of divine goodness, and the result
has been a most glorious reward. His commercial career testifies to his
worth, such men being those who help to make a flourishing city and give
character to a community. He has baptized and buried many people and
married many couples, his agreeable manner of performing the latter
ceremony rendering him in great demand for that pleasant service. His path
through life lies amidst hosts of earnest friends, who will cheer and
sustain him to the last.
Bio. of Calvin Osborn-6679
History of Allen County, Ohio and Representative Citizens,
Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, 1906. Page 556. (transcript)
CALVIN OSBORN, one of the old established business men of Lima, a dealer in
granite and marble monuments, is also an honored survivor of the Civil War,
having given three years of his young manhood to the service of his
country. Mr. Osborn was born in Lordstown township, Trumbull County, Ohio,
April 5, 1841, and is a son of William and Sarah (Jordan) Osborn.
The father of Mr. Osborn was born at Redstone, Fayette County,
Pennsylvania, and accompanied his parents in childhood to Stark County,
Ohio, where he was reared and where he married. The mother of our subject
was a native of Scotland. Both parents died in Trumbull County. For many
years William Osborn was a prominent farmer and dairyman of Trumbull County
and was a leading citizen, interested in both political and educational
affairs. He was a stanch Abolitionist long before the Civil War settled
the question of human slavery. He reared a family of five sons and six
daughters, as follows: Henry M., who died in Coffey County, Kansas, where
he was a prominent agriculturist; John, who is a retired farmer of North
Jackson, Mahoning County, Ohio; Josiah S., who has been a bookkeeper in
rolling and wire mills at Cleveland, Ohio, for over 40 years; James L., a
retired farmer of North Jackson, Ohio; Julia, deceased in 1873, who was the
wife of Josiah Duncan, of Trumbull County; Mary, deceased in 1851, who was
the wife of Milo Beard, of Mahoning County; Susan, who died in 1856;
Sarah, who died in 1851; Jennie (Dalzell), who resides in Oklahoma; and
Alice, deceased in 1890, who was the wife of W. J. Hull, of Allen County.
Calvin Osborn came first to Lima in 1860, a young teacher of 19 years.
He continued to teach in this city until 1862, when he enlisted for service
in the Civil War, entering Company C, 84th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf. He was
mustered into the army at Camp Chase, Columbus, and immediately afterward
accompanied the command to Cumberland City, Maryland, his mettle being
tried first at New Creek, where the enemy was routed. Minor engagements
followed as the Union forces pursued the Confederates through the mountains
of West Virginia and Maryland, and his regiment was also utilized to convey
prisoners from one point to another. During his three years of service,
Mr. Osborn's record shows that he was never missing from the post of duty
and at all times was a cheerful, brave and efficient soldier. He was
mustered out of the service at Camp Delaware.
Mr. Osborn returned then to Lima and taught school for some years, and
then went into a milling business for some six years, after which he went
on the road as traveling salesman for J. D. Halter, of Lima, in the granite
and monument line. Since closing out that contract, he has been engaged in
the same line for himself. He has resided in the same home, at No. 325
West Wayne street, since May 5, 1865.
On December 21, 1864, Mr. Osborn was married to Frances A. Barber, a
daughter of the late John and Nancy (Ferguson) Barber, who was born in
Pennsylvania and were early settlers in Bath township, Allen County, coming
here in 1829. Mr. and Mrs. Osborn have two sons -- Grant C. and Clifton A.
The former is manager of the Cleveland-Berea Stone Company, for the Western
States, with headquarters at Chicago, and the latter is associated with
F.E. Harman, of Lima. Mr. Osborn and his wife are members of the
Disciples' Church. Politically he is a Republican and has frequently
served as a delegate to conventions. He is a member of Mart Armstrong
Post, No. 202, G. A. R.
Bio. of E. Wyllis Osborn
Memorial Record of the County of Cuyahoga and City of Cleveland, Ohio,
Chicago, The Lewis Publishing Co., 1894. Page 604. (transcript)
E WYLLIS OSBORN, manager of the Cleveland Press, is a native of this city,
born June 23, 1860. His parents, L.T. and Elizabeth Dane (Dodge) Osborn,
were natives of Ohio. His mother's parents, Herry and Angeline Dodge, were
pioneers from New England to Ohio, where they brought up and educated their
children, -- five sons and one daughter. The daughter, now aged fifty-six
years, is now residing with Mr. Osborn, the subject of this brief account,
and is a devout Christian woman, a member of the Euclid Avenue Baptist
Church. Mr. L.T. Osborn was the only son of Timothy Osborn, and settled in
Cleveland many years ago. He had two children, namely: Angie, and E.
Wyllis, above named.
The latter was educated in this city, in the public schools, and entered
business early in life, following various mercantile pursuits. In 1879,
being recommended for the position of general office man for the Britton
Iron & Steel Company, of Cleveland, he was chosen for that place and soon
became partner and director in the concern, and at length secretary and
treasurer, which position he resigned in 1886, after a seven-years service,
to accept the business management of the Cleveland Press, an influential
newspaper. Since his connection with this paper it has more tban doubled
in size and circulation.
Mr. Osborn is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and of the Union,
Athletic and Roadside Clubs, and First City Troop Cavalry Company. It may
he said that he is very fond of horses and is considered a good horseman.
The mental equipment for the responsible position which Mr. Osborn now
holds has been obtained by his own perseverance, in spite of all obstacles,
and this fact shows that he has a strong mind and energetic disposition,
inherited by nature. Having nothing to start in business life with for his
own maintenance, he has honestly and industriously made his way to an
influential and responsible position, where he is giving satisfaction to
all parties he serves. A greater future evidently awaits him.
Bio. of George Merrill Osborn
Portrait and Biographical Record of the Scioto Valley, Chicago,
The Lewis Publishing Co., 1894. Page 369. (transcript)
GEORGE MERRILL OSBORN, Judge of the Probate Court of Portsmouth, Ohio, was
born at Wheelersburg, this State, October 7, 1858. His father, Arthur
Patterson Osborn, was born at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, September 2, 1814,
and died at Wheelersburg, Ohio, September 18, 1887. He was a tanner by
trade. In 1840 he moved from Pennsylvania to Springfield, Ohio, where he
worked at his trade until 1847. He then came to Portsmouth, to build the
tannery for Smith & Davis, and, after its completion, was employed as
superintendent for several years. He was then engaged for a time at his
trade in Kentucky. In 1858 he moved to Wheelersburg, Scioto county, Ohio,
to work in the tannery of George W. Flanders. Shortly after this Mr.
Flanders was elected Auditor of the county, and Mr. Osborn bought the
tannery. He conducted the same until 1880, when he closed out the business
and lived retired in Wheelersburg the remainder of his days. Mr. Osborn
and his brother, James, the only children, were left orphans at an early
age, and whatever success they made in after life was due entirely to their
Elizabeth (Way) Osborn, mother of our subject, was born at Columbus,
Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, September 3, 1813, her parents being
Michael and Susan Way. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Osborn was a
Hessian deserter, who came to this country under a misapprehension, and,
rather than fight against the people who were struggling for their
deliverance he deserted. He afterward married an English girl. Arthur P.
Osborn and Elizabeth Way were married February 25, 1833. Their children
living are: Stephen, Lewellyn, Arthur Patterson, and the subject of this
sketch. There are seven deceased. Arthur Patterson enlisted in Company
M, Seventh Ohio Cavalry, when only sixteen years old, and served for
eighteen months. He then received an appointment to the Naval Academy
through the efforts of Hon. H.S. Bundy, of Jackson, and graduated in 1869.
Since that time he has served on various vessels in the United States
marine. He is now located at Newport, Rhode Island, and holds the rank of
The subject of this sketch, after passing through the public school,
took a course at the Iron City Business College, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania,
and received his diploma in 1875. He then began teaching, continuing that
occupation for ten consecutive years, with the exception of 1883, when he
read law under Hon. A.T. Holcomb. In the spring of 1877 he returned to
Portsmouth and entered the law office of T.C. Anderson. In June of the
same year, he was admitted to the bar. Mr. Osborn then formed a
partnership with Mr. Anderson, which continued until he assumed the duties
of Probate Judge, in February, 1891. He was elected by a large majority on
the Republican ticket in the fall of 1890, re-elected by an increased
majority in 1893, and is now serving his second term. He was appointed
County School Examiner in 1885, and served until his elevation to the
bench, when he resigned. He served five years as Trustee of Porter
Township and three years as a member of the Wheelersburg School Board --
but resigned both positions on removal to Portsmouth.
Judge Osborn married June 10, 1890, Miss Carry E. Feurt, daughter of
Henry and Mary Feurt. In his social relations he is a member of blue
lodge, chapter and commandery, Masonic bodies; the Mystic Shrine, Knights
of Pythias and the Elks.
Bio. of Samuel Osburn
Commemorative Biographical Record, Harrison, Ohio,
Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1891. Page 188. (transcript)
SAMUEL OSBURN. This well-known citizen of Archer Township, Harrison
County, is a native of Westmoreland County, Penn., born April 4, 1813. His
descent he traces from an old Scotch family, who in the days of religious
persecution in their native land -- "land of the mountain and the flood"
-- moved with their little ones and all their worldly possessions to the
North of Ireland. They were stern, rugged Presbyterians in their religious
convictions, and brooked no interference with their time-honored
"Confession of Faith," and right to worship according to their conscience.
Samuel Osburn, grandfather of the subject of this memoir, was born in
County Derry, Ireland, where he married Susanna Garven, and had several
children. Coming with his family to America in the seventeenth century he
settled in Westmoreland County, Penn., where he participated in the Indian
War, assisting materially in the effort to settle the difficulties with the
aborigines, at that time agitating the country.
Alexander Osburn, father of our subject, was born May 14,1785, and in
after life carried on farming in Pennsylvania, where he was married May 10,
1808, to Miss Mary, daughter of James and Mary Barnes, natives of Ireland,
then of Pennsylvania. To this union six children were born, three of whom
are now living, viz.: Samuel (the subject of this sketch), John (in Archer
Township) and Mary (who was married to Rev. William C. Mason (now deceased),
a Presbyterian minister in Illinois. Early in the year 1818 the parents
moved with their family to Harrison County, Ohio, and settled on a farm in
Athens Township, where the father, the previous year, had put up a small
log cabin. On this farm the mother died January 5, 1824, at the age of
forty-three years. Alexander Osburn was married (the second time) to Miss
Martha Rankin, of Washington County, Penn., and to this union two children
were born: James D., of Carroll County, and Mrs. Rebecca Ramsey, of Scio,
Ohio. Martha Rankin Osburn departed this life December 25, 1848.
In 1829 the father moved to the farm in Archer Township, where his son
Samuel now lives, and here died at the patriarchal age of four-score and
two years. He was a hard-working man, and as one of the earliest settlers
of the township and county had all the hardships of the pioneer to
experience. After his removal to Archer Township he engaged in raising
sheep, and owned the first flock of fine sheep in the township. He was a
stanch supporter of the Whig party, taking an active part in politics, and
he and his family were prominent members of the Presbyterian Church, of
which he was a member many years, and ruling elder, appointed by
Steubenville Presbytery to General Assembly in the year 1846. He enlisted
in the War of 1812, but did not see service, hostilities having closed soon
Samuel Osburn, the subject proper of these lines, attended the common
schools of his neighborhood, where he received an education that he has
ever since improved, and remained with his father during the latter's life
time. In 1835 Mr. Osburn married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of John and Jane
Welsh (natives of Ireland), then of Lancaster County, Penn. John Welch<sic>
with his family moved to Archer Township, Harrison Co., Ohio, about the
year 1822. Immediately after marriage Mr. and Mrs. Osburn commenced
housekeeping on the old home farm of Mr. Osburn. Six children have blessed
them, namely: Alexander (deceased, a brief record of whom follows), John W.
(in Cadiz Township), Jane (Mrs. Morrison Moorehead, in Green Township,
Harrison County), Martha (Mrs. Granville Dickerson, in Nodaway County,
Mo.), Amanda (Mrs. L.A. Welsh, in Archer Township), and Matthew Beatty
(residing with his father). Mr. Osburn's farm of 172 acres, which is
situated about four miles from Cadiz, is highly improved, and his
residence, admirably placed on the slope of one of the hills, commands a
view rarely equaled. In politics Mr. Osburn was originally a Whig, and
since the organization of the Republican party he has been one of its
ardent supporters. In early days his house was the headquarters of the
Whigs of his township, and the flag of our country floated over his farm
during the war. The family were represented in the Civil War by the son,
John W., who, as already stated, is a resident of Cadiz Township, Harrison
County. Mr. and Mrs. Osburn are members of the Presbyterian Church at
Cadiz. He was first a member of the Ridge Church in Archer Township, and
of it was made an elder; in 1885 he united with the Cadiz Presbyterian
Church, where he was again elected ruling elder. He was twice a delegate
appointed by the Steubenville Presbytery to the General Assembly, and in
1870 he attended the Assembly in Philadelphia, also the one held in
Pittsburgh in 1878. His wife united with the church at an early age, and
has always been most highly respected and esteemed by her fellow church
members, as well as by her acquaintances and friends. Mr. Osburn and his
home circle are numbered among the representative families of the county,
and are highly esteemed by all.
Mrs. Sarah Osburn, widow of Alexander Osburn, the eldest son born, to
Samuel and Elizabeth (Welsh) Osburn, is a daughter of William and Mary
Hedges, a record of her immediate ancestry being given in the sketch of
W.P. Hedges, of Cadiz Township. In 1868 she was united in marriage with
Alexander Osburn, and they then located on the farm in Cadiz Township,
where his brother John now resides, Here they remained some three years,
and then removed to their farm in Archer Township, where, on July 24,
1875, Mr. Osburn passed from earth at the early age of thirty-four years.
Since her husband's death Mrs. Osburn has resided in the town of Cadiz with
her two sons, Clare M. and Norwood S. Mrs. Osburn is a consistent member,
as was her husband, of the Presbyterian Church at Cadiz, Ohio.
Bio. of John W. Osburn-2386
Commemorative Biographical Record, Harrison, Ohio, Chicago,
J.H. Beers & Co., 1891. Page 365. (transcript)
[See another bio. of John W. Osburn-2386]
JOHN W. OSBURN, son of Samuel and Elizabeth Osburn, of Archer Township,
Harrison County, was born in that township October 3, 1840. He spent his
early life in much the same manner as do farm boys generally, receiving the
advantages of the common schools of his native township. In 1871 he was
united in marriage with Miss Lyra B. Thompson (then nineteen years of age),
a native of Green Township, Harrison County, and for some two years they
made their home on the farm of his parents in Archer Township, and in
March, 1874, they came to where they now reside in Cadiz Township. The
farm consists of 126 1/2 acres, and is situated one mile southwest of the
town of Cadiz. Mr. and Mrs. Osburn are the parents of two children,
Gertrude and Alice, now (1890) aged, respectively, eighteen and thirteen
Politically Mr. Osburn is a Republican, and has never been an aspirant
to office. On August 9, 1862, in Company F, Ninety-eighth O.V.I., he
enlisted, serving eight months, and received an honorable discharge on
account of disability. Recovering his health, he then responded to the
call for one-hundred-days men, and in the One Hundred and Seventieth
O.N.G., he served four months more, remaining with his regiment the entire
time. He was made sergeant of his company, and participated in the
engagements at Winchester, Snicker's Ferry, and the various other fights
and skirmishes in which his regiment took part. Upon receiving his second
discharge, he returned home to his farm. He is a member of the G.A.R. Mr.
Osburn has many friends, and is known as a thrifty and progressive farmer.
He and his wife and eldest daughter are members of the Presbyterian Church
at Cadiz, and the family is one of the most highly respected in Harrison